Sunday, March 9, 2008

Nice work if you can get it.

Sit up and pay attention now: I'm about to get really sappy.

In the midst of our struggles with sleep (or lack thereof) there are times, like this one, when she falls asleep in my arms and I don't try to put her down at all, I just stay perfectly still for a while and remind myself that, however trying it can be to meet the endless needs of a baby, however daunting to sift my way through the parenting advice (Pick them up! Put them down! Trust your baby! All babies are tricksters!) I know these baby days are flying past us. Already, we are whispering in her ear, "Don't grow. Stay just as you are, forever." Whether she ever sleeps through the night or not (I pray the former) the real truth of it is this: the moments I am lucky enough to spend with my sleeping child in my arms will be among the sweetest of my life.

2 comments:

Chris said...

She's so beautiful. We've got ten weeks to go (fingers crossed) until we join you in this crazy adventure -- which feels like that part of the roller-coaster ride where the train has pulled away from the platform and is slowly ratcheting its way up the first hill.

K said...

I'm so happy that you and Regina will soon be spending those first few amazing days with your son. You'll be dizzy, just like those first wobble steps after the roller coaster ride. And you'll be alarmed when they actually discharge you from the hospital and send you home to raise him, but the adrenaline will keep you brave. Keep us posted!!