Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sometimes victory is as small as a Tic Tac

[photo credit: Audrey. Yeah, the image is blurry but I also look like that most of the time. Except, I don't think my nose is really as big as it looks here. Is it? Tell me it isn't.]

We're not on the fast track to toileting triumph, to be sure, but we celebrate our modest successes with high-fives and dances and hollering, and small rewards. For every "try" that Audrey makes on the potty, she gets a Tic Tac. Audrey will do anything for mints. Recently she ate an entire roll of wintergreen lifesavers while our backs were momentarily turned, and refused to give up a single one when we discovered her, chipmunk-cheeked and unrepentent. So I decided that Tic Tacs would be an appropriately small, but tempting, reward system. For now I've put away the Elmo panties (and my mop) until we've gained a little bit more ground with our scaled down methodology.

Now, if you happen to know that Tic Tacs contain a dangerous chemical that is toxic to toddlers, because you are a chemist, or your cousin's wife's brother's girlfriend works at the Tic Tac factory and has it on good authority that they are little white pellets of minty poison, please: don't tell me. I don't want to know. I can't afford to have this tiny bit of leverage taken away.

No comments: