Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ideas?

All right. Those of you who've dealt with toddlers and smallish children: I need your thoughtful suggestions about Audrey's latest "She's doing what?" behavior, which is driving me a little bit out of my mind. As preface, some of you may recall listening to me for hours on end describe how Audrey is not a Great Sleeper in the classic definition (you know, the kid who slept through the night at 2 months and has ever since and never skips a nap, and goes to bed singing "Edelweiss" to herself instead of screaming-- that kind). And most of you know by now that I'm kind of into my schedules. I rather insist on them. Which makes Scott a bit crazy sometimes, but that's the breakes-- it already says on our wedding certificate that he has to respect, if not always agree, with my ways. Audrey's birth certificate has no such language on it, but I operate on the same principle with her, because I'm the Mom, and that's the way I roll.

Anyway. Audrey is only napping about every other day. She will (thank heaven) spend time quietly playing in her crib for up to two hours if she decides not to sleep (the only reason, I might add, she is not now attending Swiss boarding school, though I do love her to pieces) but she has started to take off all her clothes, and her diaper, during the naptime/quiet-time in her crib, so that I find her prancing around totally naked, a happy jaybird. This, as you might imagine, has resulted in some pretty unspeakable messes, plus she's just not sleeping which makes her really cranky by the end of the day. It does seem to me like she still needs a nap to feel better, and more importantly I need them.

Duct-tape has already been suggested. She is able to work her way out of all types of clothing, including that with snaps and tigh-fitting waist bands. Is this a question of more restrictive clothing, or do I just have to buy a lot more crib sheets to clean up the foul aftermath?

Real suggestions. Please.

Yours in unswerving committment no matter what to preserving the afternoon nap,

Kris

No comments: