Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Overheard: When I the grown-up


Audrey is keenly tuned in to the differences between babies, toddlers, preschoolers and grown-ups. We showed her a "Wallace and Gromit" movie during our recent vacation and she calls it "Wallace and Grown-Up." (Side note: Do not even think about boarding a cross-country flight with a small child unless you have a portable DVD player and are prepared to throw all your prohibitions against t.v. right out the emergency exit. Thank you for your attention. You may begin pre-boarding at any time.)

This week Audrey moved from the toddler room to the preschool room-- a transition which caused me more of that heavy-sighing, weepy-sniffly mommy blogger stuff... never mind. We won't get into that again.

At school pick-up time, as we walked through the parking lot together:

Audrey: Mom, are you a preschooler?
Me: Nope, only you are a preschooler.
Audrey: But when you were a kid you were a preschooler just like me?
Me: Yes!
Audrey: Mommy, when I a grown-up, I drop you off at preschool and then I walk away, with the baby.
Me: Sounds good.

The photo above is part of a montage I am making of photos from her first year at school, "Year of the Tadpole." I miss it. I miss everything lately. I am already nostalgic for this morning- that's how fast they're growing.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm sure time's flying by in a rush. I can't believe what a small adult Audrey is already. Kiss her from me, before she's too big to let you.

Mom said...

Remember when you were three and you didn't want to be a kid? I used to say you were 3 going on 13. You want to get into weepy nostalgia??? Just talk to a gramma who misses those darling little girls her dear "grown-up" daughters used to be! Don't get me started.....

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.