Thursday, September 3, 2009

Missing Dad, Peeling Edamame


Audrey and I had some take-out sushi for dinner tonight (veggie only) and she discovered how much fun it is to peel edamame. She was tired and wired from a big morning of carousel-riding and arcade games (watching, not playing) with our friends at "Kiddieland" up in Salem, and had only had a little bit of a nap with me, in our bed, instead of the good long nap that she probably needed. Things came off the rails a bit when I sat her down to watch a Sesame Street video called Three Bears and a New Baby. The first few minutes were riveting. She looked from the screen to my stomach and back to the screen again, patting and hugging "our baby." But the sight of the new baby bear crying made her despondent-- I mean, chin-quivering, silent weeping as opposed to the kind of crying I usually hear when she is hurt or angry or wanting one of her parents. I've never seen her cry with empathy before. Hugs, followed by a bubble bath and some stories brought her back to herself. Perhaps it was not very smart of me to give her this delicate and complicated subject matter so close to bedtime, at the end of an already very full day. It's a lot for a tired two year-old: dancing bear puppets, the changing structure of our family, and Telly Monster, who frankly just needs to calm it down a little.

I think her operatic emotions also must have something to do with missing Scott, who had to be away this week. She really misses him. I miss him too. And we know he misses us.

No comments: