Tuesday, September 22, 2009

So, it's come to this, has it?


You know things have taken an odd turn when you find yourself winding masking tape around your child's diaper, explaining to her that it's "magic diaper tape" in a stagey voice that suggests mystery and excitement and privilege beyond her wee level of understanding.

Yes, folks, I did. Before putting her down this afternoon I taped her into her diaper because we've now had three all-out prison riots, in which she took off her diaper at nap time and made murals with the contents. According to my on-line sources, this is not an uncommon problem, and has been solved by many parents through the ingenious use of tape, and also sleepers that are put on backwards. We are trying both. I am simply unable to do more laundry, or scrape the walls and floor in my delicate condition. It looks like the naps are pretty much over for us, I hate to say-- it's been about a week since the last one-- but I think we've found a way to preserve some Quiet Time, at least. A strange way, yes. But I'll take it.

Put this one down in the book of I Sure Didn't Expect THIS When I Was Expecting.

1 comment:

GooberMonkey said...

Does it ever make you giggle a little that we all obsessed so much about these naps that so quickly become a thing of the past? I am so treasuring the remaining days of napping in Kai's life. ;) And doing as little work to make them happen or make them longer or whatever whatever as possible!