Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Overheard: the long legs of the truth

Here's Audrey with her friend Liam, in the garden, backgrounded by an azalea that is sure to miss the more skillful gardeners who once lived here, but is certainly lovely in bloom right now along with all sorts of other perennials I so much don't want to do harm to.

Liam and Audrey go way back. It was a more innocent time, before sass such as this:

Last night, I encounter a plate of graham crackers on the living room floor in front of the television after I had said no eating in the living room (this is not a boarding house, not a barn, etc. etc.). But here's this plate.

Me: Audrey what is this plate of graham crackers doing in here?

Audrey: I don't know. It must have crawled on legs in here.

Me: You mean, it grew legs and came in here by itself?

Audrey: That must be the case.

Me: All by itself, it walked in here.

Audrey: It crawled on legs. That's the whole truth.


Don't you like the finality of it? The closing-argument certainty? Yeah, me too. But I do worry that those are some long, rather unsteady legs the truth has sprouted.









1 comment:

Mom said...

Perhaps one of our 6-inch-long desert centipedes, that invade my apartment once in a while down here in the Chihuahuan Desert, got under that plate of graham crackers, heaved it up on its little back, and just scampered into the living room with it. No...???? That's all I could think of when I read about the plate growing little legs! :-)