Monday, December 17, 2012

What I'm writing to the NRA

I'm putting this in the mail this morning.


December 14, 2012

David Keene, President
National Rifle Association of America
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

R.E.: Please reconsider your support of assault weaponry and make American children safer.

Dear Mr. Keene,

I have begun many different letters to you over the last week, knowing that my letter will surely be read by an exhausted member of your staff who is putting letters into piles of “Supportive of NRA” and “Not Supportive of NRA.”

Please put my letter in the “Heartbroken and Scared” pile.

When I dropped off my children at preschool this morning it was hard to get all the way back to my car without crying, but I am terribly frightened for their safety, which is why I am writing to you.

I can’t make it any less likely that a violent or mentally ill person will enter my children’s school, or any school, with an assault rifle and an intent to kill, but YOU CAN. You and the NRA can support reasonable changes to gun laws that will make assault weapons—which no sportsman or civilian needs for any sane or humane purpose—illegal.

Mr. Keene, public opinion is changing steadily in favor of a sensible ban on assault weapons. More and more of your own members are realizing that assault weapons can be made illegal without dissolving the Second Amendment.  I know that my beliefs about gun laws will never match those of most NRA members, but I do believe that you and the members of your organization have compassion and mercy. Many of them may have sat in their cars this morning, as I did, having just left their children in a school or day care center, and wondered how they would go on living if their children were hurt or killed.

Please, please reconsider your position on assault weapons and work with others toward a sensible ban. It is the right thing to do, for everyone in this country.

Hopeful that you will hear me,



Kris
Mother of Audrey (5) and Calvin (3)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully expressed, Kris.

Mimi and Pop said...

Yes, well said. We are happy that you are back home. We will continue to remember Jean, you, Janna and your uncle in our prayers.

Nanu Joyce said...

kris, thank you for doing this. May I share your letter with others, including President Obama and legislative leaders in both Washingtons? You've expressed the thoughts and feelings so many of us cannot articulate but agree with on a visceral level. I will also write to the NRA. ~Love you and Audrey & Calvin very much, Nanu