Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Passion for Footwear


Audrey loves shoes. And anyone who has seen the shabby, scuffed up, hard-worn shoes on her mother's feet will know that she does not inherit this interest from me. "Shoes" was one of her first words, and it continues to be one of her favorite things to say, point to, and try on. She has greeted us in the morning by saying "Shoes!" and she has even called it out-- no kidding-- in her sleep. The other day we went to the local mall (I hate shopping but am willing to make exceptions for trips to the Bose outlet) where Audrey spotted a childrens' shoe store, and just completely lost her mind. She ran into the store, shouting "Shoes! Shoes!" to the surprise and delight of the people working in the store. It's probably not often that they see such enthusiasm from a two-foot customer, and not just for a particular pair of shoes-- for shoes in general. Shoes as an idea. Shoes as a way of life.

Above she is wearing her cousin Nathan's cowboy boots. They give her flower-appliqued over-all's a funky, urban-cowgirl sort of look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh: I bet she'd love The Nields's song "I Love My Shoes," on their wonderful kids album "All Together in the Kitchen." It's Gregory's favorite album, I gather from his reaction to the first track, which makes the fact that I've misplaced it all the more sad.