Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dr. Auntie Janna's Graduation Weekend Spectacular



We all headed to Vermont this weekend to see Janna receive her doctoral degree. I have to say, after watching Janna these past seven years slog through the work of a ph.d., this was the most monumental exercise in patience and stick-to-it-iveness that has ever been devised. My word but they work you hard to get that diploma.



After the ceremony, we went to a party for Janna hosted by her advisor. Some of us gave tearful toasts and talked about Janna's many and varied accomplishements. Others hung out under the table with the dogs looking for food scraps.


And as a little bonus, we also celebrated the completion of my master's degree from Simmons, which I finished a mere ten years after starting it at Emerson. Scott ordered a gown, hood and cap for me and Janna bestowed the hood on me herself, after first helping me to understand how the sleeves of the master's gown are designed-- there's a pocket that's supposed to hang down below one's hands, but at first I thought my gown was defective and had mittens at the end of each arm. It's perfectly clear why one of us will be addressed as "Dr." and the other will not. I believe I also have the hood on backwards, or inside out, or possibly both, but here even Scott who has eleven years of training as an engineer was not able to help, so some things are just impenetrably complex. Janna, I should note, was wearing the doctoral robe that belonged to our maternal grandfather, a professor of math and CS.


It took Dr. Janna about two seconds to work the ribbon off her present from mom, while I struggled for many minutes. Master of what, exactly?

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Yay! Congrats to the both of you! I'm so proud of you for YOUR stick-to-itiveness to finish this degree through childcare, family, and life.

Sarah said...

Congratulations, Master Kris! I'd forgotten that you'd get to "walk" this spring. Yippee!