Sunday, May 3, 2009

Introducing the Rolls Royce of Raised Garden Beds



I might have known that when you ask an engineer to build you a small and simple raised garden box that he won't just shuffle down to the basement and slap a few old pieces of plywood together. Scott worked on this baby for weeks, whenever the two kids in the house weren't sleeping and he could use his drills/power saws/hammers, etc.. When he showed me the finished product-- a gleaming beauty which contains no fewer than 128 screws and 16 lag bolts-- I thought, gee, that looks more like a piece of Shaker furniture than something we should put in the yard and fill with dirt.

But it's now full of organic garden soil (I took some flak for wanting organic dirt, but I am not embarrassed) and I'm going to plant as much as I can fit into the 5' x 2 x 20'' and subject you, dear reader, to updates all summer long.

2 comments:

Nora Flood said...

Wow! That's some raised bed. It will look great overflowing with herbs and veggies. I look forward to pictures full of plants.

Sarah said...

Wow! Can't wait to see what grows. Beautiful work on Scott's part!