Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Overheard: That's orange, man.

Audrey likes everything orange, and now she has started to use the word "orange" the way other young folk say sick, or, if you are very, very old like me, cool or awesome. If she likes a song, for example, she'll say, "Play it again! It's orange!"

Her favorite song of the moment is "Mahna Mahna," of Jim Henson muppet fame, and she especially enjoys Cake's recording of it. She calls Scott and I "The Big Nahmahnas," and Calvin of course is Little Nahmahnah.

Yesterday she was complaining of a stomach ache and I told her that I would get her some medicine for her tummy, and also, maybe some yogurt for her tummy since she hadn't eaten much. She replied, "Mommy just get medicine for my tummy. Yogurt is for my mouth."

And one more. Can you stand one more? Good. This morning I was reciting the text of Madeline to her,to keep her entertained while I made some coffee, and trying to get her to finish the lines for me. In this exchange, the word I am fishing for is ICE...

Me: She was not afraid of mice. / She loved winter, snow and...

Audrey: Me?

Me: Well, yes, but what else? She loved winter, snow and...

Audrey: Lollipops!

Me: Yes. And lollipops. Now eat your cereal.


4 comments:

Ariane Cherbuliez said...

More, more! I want more Audrey Stories! They're, like, orange. Wow, man...

Mimi and PopPop said...

What an adventure! More! Yes indeed.

Mom said...

The Big Orange Splot is one of my very favorite picture books-it gives the color orange a kind of magic quality. And so does this wonderful anecdote about Audrey!

Mom said...

My Big Orange Splot comment was to a previous post- I don't know why it just popped up again here!!

Mija, I would give anything to be there with you, sing lullabies and read stories (even Big Orange Splot) to you BOTH, and keep watch over you at the hospital so you could get more sleep. Please know I am there in spirit and I think about you all day long.