Friday, May 14, 2010

Overheard: The dears and the honeys

#1
Audrey: Mom, you're the dear and I'm the honey.

#2
This isn't a quote, exactly, but it fits the category and demonstrates just how hard you have to work to learn spoken English. I said to Audrey, "Let's make a deal," I forget what bargain I was trying to strike with her but it was something along the lines of You eat the rest of that oatmeal and then we can go play with sidewalk chalk, or something like that. And after I spelled out the terms and she agreed I said, "Okay, let's shake hands." Audrey looked at me quizzically for a moment and then raised both hands above her head and shook them. She seemed resigned to the idea that in order to communicate with me she'd have to go along with my bizarre customs and just pretend that any of it makes sense.

#3
Audrey, whispering in Calvin's ear, "Calvin, I have a secret to tell you. I love you!"

3 comments:

Ellen said...

"Overheards" are always my favorite posts!

Mom said...

This is great! I look forward to shaking hands with Audrey, deal or no deal.

Mimi & PopPop said...

Obviously the home atmosphere is conducive to loving, learning and expressing.