Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Toddler Interrogation 101




Overheard


Me: (entering kitchen to find puddles of water on the floor) What happened here?

Audrey: It happened by Calvin!


Whether she was scapegoating her brother or just reporting the facts, the question was dumb. My wiser friend Leah already told me that it’s pointless to walk into a room and ask, of the elder child, what has just happened or why someone else is crying or how these charges appeared on your Mastercard. As if she was simply going to confess! As if you could tell if her denials were true! As if preverbal Calvin even knows what’s going on!


Perhaps in these scenarios, as in business negotiating, my most powerful tool is silence. It’ll get me at least as much information as asking what happened and maybe, just out of curiosity, Audrey will reveal how that water got on the floor.


Or not. But I'm pretty sure I know how the apple core got into the drawer under the oven.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I think I'm most entertained by Brady complaining about being hit or somehow hurt by Aidan, who has been the innocent bystander (and often hurt by his big brother) all along. Suck it up!