Thursday, January 5, 2012

How's this for a superior start to the day?

My day just got better and better after waking up this morning-- because that was truly the only direction for it to go, after starting off like this: I am awakened by a punch to the temple, followed by more pummeling from Calvin's fists as he shouts, "No! I don't like you! I want Daddy!"

And good morning to you, too, son. So glad I allowed you to sleep in our bed last night so that I could enjoy this sweet interlude with you at first light. Will you be taking breakfast in the dining room, or can I bring it to you on a tray here in the bedroom? (Not that you're going to eat anything. Let's not have any foolish optimism today! I'm already giddy.)

Oi what a long day it was. I should do a lot more work but I am thinking of packing it in right now. That would be the wisest choice of my day so far.


1 comment:

Torrey said...

This post was a huge comfort to me. This morning, after having Enes in the bed with us most of the night, I lay shivering beneath the blasting central air vent above my side of the bed. I attempted to extricate some sheet or blanket from underneath his body. Though he appeared to be sleeping angelically atop a mountain of bedclothes, whispery breaths coming from his rosy lips, he suddenly shouted, "Hey, you can't do that!" and kicked me in the chin with his heel. So that was nice.