Monday, August 4, 2008

Does she have a hollow leg?



When Audrey first began eating solid foods about four months ago, I started to puree things for her and freeze them in batches. The usual stuff- sweet potatoes, pears, apples, spinach, etc. I was really getting good at it and was thinking about all sorts of ways to fit more pureed cubes into the freezer, when it occurred to me that she actually doesn't need all that much now in the way of mush. She can just eat a lot of the same things we do, as long as they are soft and she can get some bite-size (for her) pieces gnawed off with her gums and one snaggly little tooth.

Last night we had some fusilli pasta and I gave her some (unsauced) on her highchair tray, which seemed to delight her. They were a facinating shape, nice and gummy-- right up her street. She was really putting it away, it seemed-- the more I gave her, the more she wanted. And I did see her chewing, but when I took the tray off to clean her up, I found that she had just stashed most of the pasta away in the pocket of her bib. While getting her ready for bed a bit later I found more fusilli tucked down into her onsie, in the top fold of her diaper.

Maybe, like both of her parents, she likes to store food away for later use. Scott cans and preserves, and I puree and freeze. Audrey pockets.

No comments: