Monday, August 4, 2008

Straw poll for our readers.

Is "uh-oh" a word? Would it count as a first word? Audrey said it several times today, the first time at around 5:00 in the morning right after she dumped the entire container of diaper wipes on the floor, and just before she worked the cap of the diaper cream and almost ate some. (Did I mention she's getting hard to handle? Suddenly every diaper change is a Cirque du Soleil audition. By the time I've got the used diaper off of her she has twisted herself into a headstand.)

I invite your comments. Actual word, or just grunting mimicry? Any difference?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! She's saying the right thing at the right time. Uh-oh is definitely in the "first words" list. And soon she'll be creating all kinds of mischief so she can correctly use her new word.

Anonymous said...

As I recall, your cousin Carolyn Stark, when she was a one-year-old babe, said "Uh-Oh!!" a lot. I remember this from our Port Townsend Stark family reunion. Her word was documented for posterity in our "What If...? I would...!" group game ("What if Carolyn said Uh-Oh?" or, "Carolyn would say Uh-Oh!") So, for example: "What if Michele made so many beans we would have to bury them?" "Carolyn would say: Uh-Oh!!" In case you need a review of the rules of the game I will be happy to provide this when I visit. It was a great family game, and might be just the thing for next summer at the beach in Maine!

Anonymous said...

Could be either pre-verbal imitation of language sounds (usually emerges about 9-10 months) if she repeats it right after you or the first instance of linguistic speech (emerges between 10 and 14 months), if its a verbal expression that conveys meaning uttered independently, according to my Child Development textbook. Knowing her brilliant pedigree, I'd say it's the latter.

GooberMonkey said...

I think it totally counts. But I've got nothing to back it up other than the fact that if Kai begins to say it, I will totally count it. :)

K said...

My mom has quoted a Mayo Clinic newsletter source that says "uh-oh" is indeed a word. Case closed, as far as I'm concerned!