Monday, August 9, 2010

Old Mother Couscous

Last night Audrey asked me if I would read her the Old Mother Couscous poems. Her catch-phrases of the week are, "Well, surely we can!" (cheerful response to "no" in any form) and "Well, if you say so." (grudging acquiescence to parental authority).

We’ve been reading a book about the management of the strong-willed preschooler, and as so often happens with books like this, we are evangelists of The Method, because we haven’t actually applied it for more than a day. In this case, the method is all about making “attending statements” instead of badgering your child with questions and directions. I will say that when I really stopped to pay attention to this, it did seem that I was constantly hectoring Audrey with my directions and queries, even when we were trying to play together. Attending statements are just observations, to make your child feel that you are really paying attention, and to emphasize your interest in what she does. Scott offers this helpful example:

WRONG WAY: Audrey, where are you going with that gun in your hand?

RIGHT WAY: Wow! It looks like you are walking around the house with a firearm. I wonder what you’ll do. You sure do seem to know how to use it!

No comments: