Monday, April 5, 2010

A preview of warm summer nights to come...


David Sedaris has a fine essay collection called "Dress Your Family in Denim and Corderoy." I think I'm going to call my book, "Sew Your Children Into Their Sleepwear." Calvin is still suffering from itchy, dry allergy-ravaged skin and wakes himself up by scratching, but he's really getting too big and dexterous for swaddling. Now, with the change of season I decided we'd better start weaning him off the familiar arms-pinned-to-sides mode of sleep. Besides, the guy can roll over now and he needs, as Audrey says, "a little space."

So this morning I found myself whip-stitching up the armholes of some summer-weight sleep sacks so that Calvin can move a bit but can't scratch at his face and scalp, keeping everyone awake all night. It wasn't very long ago that I was duct-taping Audrey into her diaper and putting her blanket sleepers on backwards to keep her in her diaper. None of which worked, FYI, but I got that busy and productive feeling that I often crave from all my extra worrying and internet searching. Thanks to the other parents I found on-line who suggested the armless sleep sacks. He's napping away in one of them as I post this!

No comments: