Saturday, May 17, 2008

Confessions of a Horrible Meanie?

Tap, tap, tap... is the tape recorder on? Okay, this is my formal confession. Our day has started with a bit of a jarring bump. Audrey woke up at four this morning, not quite an hour after I had already been up to feed her, and I just could not get up again. Just. Could. Not. I got about halfway to her room, and then something in me refused to take a step further. I turned around and went back to bed, and she cried for quite a while, and finally Scott got up to give her a bottle because, well, she was crying pretty hard and I had put a pillow over my head and was doing the la-la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you thing. She basically didn't go back to sleep again until I put her down for her morning nap a few hours later at 7:30, and she's still asleep now. Blessedly, she did consent to the nap; I wasn't sure what to do if she still refused sleep. Scott also got to go back to bed finally to get some badly needed sleep (he was up late working), and I got to sit in the kitchen having my coffee and considering all this kerfuffle.

Am I okay with how things played out this morning? Not exactly. Am I willing to get up multiple times in the night with my now-almost-eight-month-old? No. Maybe. It depends. I kind of wish I had just gone in to feed her when she woke the second time, even though it frustrates me terribly when she does that.

And so it goes.

1 comment:

GooberMonkey said...

I've come very close to doing this on a few mornings, and Kai's only 4 months old! I'm okay through the night, even on the occasional periods during which he wakes hourly. But somehow, wake ups between 4:30am and 6:30am just kill me. Probably b/c he goes back to sleep easily before then, but once 4:30 hits...it's work to get him back to sleep, and sometimes it's an hour of work that gets just 20 more minutes of sleep! Ah well, this too shall pass, right?

Your post also reminds me why I am so grateful not to be a single parent. When I'm done, Bob's here. When he's done, I'm here.