Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I will regret having typed these words.


I really should know better by now. If I say it, it'll never happen again. But I can't resist. I just have to shout it to the rafters. It's too good to be true. I thought we would never get there.

My friends: Audrey is sleeping through the night about 50% of the time now, and the other 50%, she's up one time for a quick feeding and back down to sleep without a struggle.

There. Now I've done it. Audrey will be up all night tonight, tuning her electric guitar, calling her friends, raiding the fridge and generally trashing the place. But oh, it feels so good to brag a teensy bit. Just this once. I don't care what the price is. And I forgive you for hating my guts right now if your baby is not sleeping through the night-- frankly, I deserve it. I'll get my comeuppance soon enough.

Oh, and I have to thank those who offered teething tips and tricks, which we will surely benefit from soon, but it looks like we were wrong that Audrey is getting a tooth. She doesn't seem to be teething yet, but she is munching, chewing, gumming and drooling on a very aggressive training schedule to get ready for the Real Thing. And when that first tooth does show its razor sharp edges, we are ready with the baby motrin and the oragel and the little mesh bag with frozen fruit. Bring it, baby!

2 comments:

GooberMonkey said...

Out of my own morbid sense of curiosity (Kai is definitely not sleeping through the night, and I don't know why I'm asking, b/c it's unlikely that we'll sleep train anyway, but my little info gathering self can't resist), did you guys end up doing more sleep training now that Audrey is older? Or is she slowly figuring it out on her own?

K said...

Yes and no. The stuff I would call sleep-training has centered more around daytime naps than nighttime sleep. At night, we follow a routine very close to the one we've had since the early days: Scott gives her a bottle and she typically falls asleep during that feeding, then goes to her crib. (Sources would say we are causing a big problem by doing this, but it kind of works so we do it anyway.) When/if she wakes at night, I usually go to her and nurse, unless I think the fussing sounds like it might wind down on its own. This is mostly a path-of-least resistance strategy. So I guess Audrey is sleeping longer on her own? She still doesn't go down willingly for a nap-- ever. The best I can hope for is a little bit of crying; sometimes, it's a firestorm of crying and I just give up, or I wait it out and it's very very tough.