Sunday, June 6, 2010

Observed: Give him the blue ribbon!

Calvin can't say anything yet, but I'll give him a column of his own for observations. Such as this:

Today while I was feeding him for the umpteenth time I thought, this kid eats like he's a contestant in a pie-eating contest. Like the returning champion pie-eater, confident of another win, but showing off to impress the crowd. He eats with such gusto, and then every once in a while he takes a break to tip his head back and give me this huge, crazy grin and smack his lips-- Victory is in sight!-- and then he gives me a double thumbs up.

Okay, the last detail is just embellishment. You get the idea. The boy likes his food. He weighs as much now as Audrey did when she was a year old, and is wearing pajamas she outgrew, it seems, just a few months ago. Last week, she borrowed his swim trunks and they fit fine. And he's not even eating solids yet; we tried him on some baby cereal recently, expecting another day of pie-eating at the fair, but he clamped his mouth shut and refused. So we'll wait another couple of weeks and see if he changes his mind.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I remember watching little Calvin twist and turn, wave his arms and kick his tiny legs while feeding- he really does dance around in Kristen's arms while he eats "with gusto!" I imagine by the time I see him again he will have learned how to dance with pieces of bananas and spoonfuls of cereal. I can see him now swaying to the Mariachi music in his highchair.... I miss him!!